Monday, May 12, 2014

FIRST BUILD: Halo Reach Custom Multiplayer Spartan III [Part 4]

I still feel bad about losing all my account information, so i'm gonna pump out a whole bunch of parts in one sitting, for all 2 of you that are bothering to read this. (2 is actually being pretty generous. I'm pretty sure I'm just rambling to an empty room just to make the voices stop...)

SO! We left off with the hand plates finished, and next came the left shoulder with the COMMANDO variant:

Everything was going great until...
DISASTER STRUCK!!! I cut the two little arm things too thin and they ended up breaking off really easily. Thankfully it was no match for hot glue and old electrical tape!!
Anyway:
Aaaaaand no finished picture. 
because i am just absolutely horrible at this.
fuh...

Next came the boots. THE BIGGEST TRAIN WRECK OF THE ENTIRE COSTUME! 
I made them so small that i have to cram my size 14 foot into the size 8 shoes because they were the only ones that fit inside. I also had NO CLUE how to work foam, so a lot of the bend cuts were made on the outside, leaving giant ugly gaps. They now reside in a random box in the garage, barely clinging to life. I might actually re-do this part of the costume just because it looks so bad. Anyway, let's watch the travesty in the making, shall we?


Still with me? 
No?
I don't blame you. 
Well, as a reward for making it through that unholy mess, you actually get to see me do something good next.
That good thing is the chest/back base. This is probably the biggest part of the suit, and also the best one, at least build-wise. I learned from my MANY, MANY mistakes on the boots and corrected them for the chest piece. Namely, i got a hold of a hot knife, which made bend cuts WAY easier. 
I also discovered this crazy new thing called a GARAGE DOOR! More importantly, HOW TO OPEN IT! so the lighting should be better in at least some of the pictures...
ANYWAY:

Here's the debut of the hot knife:
Side note: IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS, DO IT WITH A RESPIRATOR/GOGGLES AND IN A WELL VENTILATED ROOM! Melting EVA foam gives off CRAZY amounts of smoke, which also REEKS! Honestly, I was expecting the neighbors to call the cops on me, because both me and my garage smelled like a back-country meth lab for WEEKS. So be careful...

The hot knife is also great for doing little detail pieces, like all the gubbins on the back, where a regular exacto knife would run into problems.
 
'lil bit of engraving...




SO MUCH LENS FLARE YOU'D THINK YOU'RE IN J.J. ABRAM'S WET DREAM!

BOOSH!
Chest: done
Part 4: over
Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment